Thursday, September 2, 2010

Updates

So everyone should know by now that Dusty is on the road. Today he emailed me a doc of his travels, a kind of "travel journal" if you will. It's really long (initially I was going to post the whole thing on the blog, as he suggested) but yeah, we both agreed it may be a bit too long to post the whole thing. But I think his experience of last night (Thursday), is pretty wild, and totally something one of a kind/once in a lifetime, so I am going to let you all read it in his words.

One thing that I should be pretty honest about. Dusty and I, we kind of.... like.... rap music. Ah!! Okay I said it. WE LIKE RAP!!!! You have to understand that I went to a high school where you couldn't really get through a day without hearing SOMETHING about some kind of rap music, and my girlfriends, of all people, were really really into it. So naturally, I was too. Then, I started school at Bethel, where NONE of my new friends really listened to rap, at all. I held strong to my interests however. My all time favorite rapper is Lil' Wayne. I was introduced to him in 10th grade and ever since, I have been a huge fan. He is just so weird, and bizarre, but so talented with writing, in my opinion. Freshman year of college, I went to his concert at the Myth. It was quite the experience.

But anyway, two years ago when Dusty and I started hanging out, we both discovered that we share this common interest. In fact, back when we first started texting, we would go back and forth with our favorite lyrics from Lil Wayne songs. I know, I know!!! That is so goofy and weird! But that's just kind of who we are. Deal with it!!

So, now, I allow you to take a look into what happened to Dusty yesterday, and if you are a rap fan, be jealous. And if you are in no way whatsoever a fan of rap music, then become one. Just kidding.
(Dusty is a great writer. He has a way with words. I like reading anything he ever writes. He is awesome)

9/2/2010 THURSDAY
Now this was my greatest day of the trip so far, and it probably will continue to be the best day for a long time (until Sept 30th CASEY. ) Let me just phrase this and hopefully you’ll understand the insanity of my day. EMINEM AND JAY-Z CONCERT IN DETROIT, HOMETOWN OF EMINEM. OH. MY. LORD. I had a hard time debating whether or not to spend the money on the ticket but I am so so glad I did. What an amazing show. I had looked all over for a ticket and finally found one the day of, from some guy off craigslist. Oh, but before that I went to Slows Bar-B-Q, Man V. Food #3. Amazing. Triple Threat Pork Sandwich. Applewood Smoked Bacon, a slab of ham, and pulled pork. Delicious. Best thing I’ve eaten so far. You got your work cut out for you Pittsburgh. Anyway. I woke up, cleaned myself up in an Einstein Bagel bathroom, got some breakfast, and used the internet to find my ticket. After successfully exchanging dinero for a General Admission spot, I went to downtown Detroit to kill time. It poured, and I was terrified that the concert would be cancelled. But it cleared up, and I headed down there around 4:00. I waited in line til 6:00, and I was starving so luckily a group of nice girls in front of me saved my spot while I went and got food. I hung with them for a while, it was nice to have people to talk to for a little bit, but I still keep to myself a lot when I’m doing stuff on my own. Doors opened at 6, and we got in, grabbed a beer, and waited. 7:30 B.o.B. came on (the girls bailed by this point, as they were short and couldn’t see over the people in front of them) and was really good! Oh, I have to say, just for the record, that if wind had a scent, the scent was weed inside Comerica Park. So much pot being smoked. And at Eminem’s RECOVERY concert. A bit contradictive, but hey, why not get completely stoned so you pass out before Eminem even gets on? Makes perfect sense. B.o.B. rocked it, had someone else guest appear or something (don’t know who) and he performed for about a half hour. Jay-z came on at 8:40. And from that point on, the night was phenomenal. I can’t even describe to you what took place. Jay-z did a full show, literally, til 10:05. With guest appearances of Young Jeezy, Bridget Kelly and I think Memphis Bling? His show was ridiculous. The stage was encompassed by lights in the shape of an eye, and there were video screens in the whites and the pupil, covering the background. Jay-z had the coolest videos on the backdrop that I’ve ever seen. So badass actually, just hard stuff that was so cool and steezy. Jay-Z is the man. Ah. My ears are still ringing. Let me go on. His set included songs like Hard Knock Life, Big Pimpin, I’m a Hustler, 99 Problems, Dirt Off Your Shoulder, Lucifer, HOVA, Encore, New York (where the Tigers play! And people loved it!), and more of his new stuff, but I don’t know the names of them. Amazing. We had to wait another grueling 40 minutes before Eminem made his first headlining appearance since 2005. In his hometown of Detroit. With over 40,000 fans chanting “SHADY”. His set was equally incredible. Not as much style as Jay-Z, but what can you expect, he’s from 8 Mile. Uh. His set included Kill You, My Name Is, Not Afraid, The Way I Am, Stan, The Real Slim Shady, Guess Who’s Back, Love The Way You Lie, Cinderella Man, Space Bound, Renegade (with Jay-Z), No Love (with a video flashing “FREE LIL’ WAYNE”), My Band (with D-12), Purple Pills, and more. But my all-time FAVORITE part of the concert? Let me set it up for you. Shady says he’s gonna take us back, to a time we hopefully still remember. We hear that background for the song that made him famous- My Name Is. He starts out singing the words. And there’s a part in the song where Eminem says “and Dr. Dre says” and then Dr. Dre’s voice comes on and says “Slim Shady you a basehead”. But instead of Dre’s voice. The music stops. Instantly the crowd goes insanely wild, because on the big screen, behind em, flashes the name “DR. DRE”. And from the side of the stage, behind the video, THE Dr. Dre walks onto the stage! I about died right there. I LOVE Dr. Dre. He is one of my favorite rappers by far, and I have never seen him in show. He hasn’t done an album since 2001, and I think he toured after it, but it’s been literally years since he’s been on stage. His guest appearance made my night. They sang Still D.R.E. and G-Thang, maybe another I can’t remember because I was in pure shock. I felt like a 13 year old girl at a Justin Beib- wait, I can’t even reference that wiener in the same paragraph as these stars. I felt like a 13 year old girl. That’s it. Amazing. Also, 50 Cent appeared and G-Unit, a lot of shout-outs to Biggie, Tupac, and most of all Big Proof (a Detroit legend). Eminem did his whole show and then an encore of Lose Yourself. With fireworks after. Guess who’s back? Yeah, you guessed it.

1 comment:

Callie said...

I love Dust! And to be honest, I am incredibly jealous of this journey that he is taking. What an amazing time of self-discovery, learning, growth, exporation and just plain fun. So jealous.