Saturday, September 18, 2010

I got love for the STP

Hello everyone. I just returned from another glorious BU football win. I drove down to Carleton College in Northfield (which is a beautiful town by the way) with my mom, grandma, brother, and Katie. We were not anticipating the cold weather (and shaky defense) in the first half, but it got sunny in the second half of the game and with that, Bethel picked up and ended up taking the win, 55-20.

I have had a really great weekend so far. I spent last night at Target Field to watch the Twins game with my friend Kristin! Unfortunately, the Twins lost. But it was still really fun. We met up with some other friends who also happened to be at the game and it just felt SO awesome to be outside, watching a baseball game, with jeans and a sweatshirt on. Ah, I love fall. Even today as we were driving down to Northfield, I noticed all the leaves changing on trees and felt like it was a true fall day. It is my absolute most favorite time of year in MN.

I decided to do something different on here today. I also feel that I should redeem myself from that Lady Gaga rant I had yesterday. But today at the game some of my friends and I were talking about fun things to do in the Twin Cities. Now, I personally LOVE living outside of the MInneapolis/St. Paul area, there is SO much to do at all times and I feel like the busyness of the city is just a quick drive from the often quietness of Arden Hills, where I live. Minneapolis is always a fun option for places to eat and go out, but when I'm there, I just feel like there is a buzz of just crowded busyness wherever you go. I don't know if you have really ever checked out downtown St. Paul before, but I have to say, I LOVE St. Paul! I will root for it any day because it is "city" enough to go out and have a great time, but quiet enough to enjoy the night free of stressful parking situations or crowded streets.

Here are just a few of my favorite things about St. Paul:
-Grand Ave: for all things shopping, eating, and walking
-Kincaids restaurant. They are a fancy restaurant but have a 1/2 price appetizer/drinks special at night. Great atmosphere and they validate parking, so it's very very convenient.
-Music in the park Thursdays. You can find this happening pretty much at any park in downtown St. Paul.
-Mississippi River walk. I had the great thrill (sarcasm) of serving jury duty last summer for Ramsey county. I had to commute to St. Paul every day and report to the courthouse, and since it wasn't extremely busy in the court case world, I had a lot of free time on my hands during our lunch breaks. There is a great path to walk along the river along with some awesome ethnic food restaurants that I got to try out.
-Pretty sweet places to live. Dusty used to live in apartments off of Sibley and they were so cute. It was just a quick walk to pretty much any restaurant within the area and very much in the heart of the city. A little over a year ago he moved into another apartment on Grand, and same thing. Close to a lot of fun stuff, and a cute apartment to match. He probably wouldn't describe it as cute, but whatever.
-Mickey's Diner. Open 24 hours.
-Rice Park in the winter time. So pretty. There are lights strung everywhere and it's right in the middle of the Ordway, Landmark Center, and across the street from Kincaid's. Very romantic spot during the colder months of the year, if you are looking for a fun date.

I don't really know what prompted me to declare my love openly for the city of St. Paul, but I just kinda feel like it's HIGHLY underrated!! There's a ton of great places to go, see, and lots of fun things to do. I love going out to Minneapolis, but it can just get old! That's why I recommend St. Paul for a really nice change of pace.



I stole this pic from Dusty. It was taken from the balcony of his Sibley apartment. See, it's not many cities where you can get a killer view of the state capitol at sunset, am I right??! Chalk one up for St. Paul. Go there and have yourself a great time.

No comments: