Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A cool story.

So, last night I just so happened to post about C.S. Lewis. Afterward, I borrowed my roommate Hannah's collection of C.S. Lewis books and skimmed a bit. Today I was reading in the market area at school and ran into my friend Laura who I hadn't seen FOREVER. She recommended a book to me last year, The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence. It's a pretty easy read but it contains SO MUCH wisdom and truth. So yea, ever since then, Laura's book advice has been pretty reliable in my eyes. Anyway, she was holding the EXACT SAME C.S. LEWIS book as I had--- What!! Random, that's what I thought. She asked if I had started reading yet and I told her I was just starting and she said those magic words: YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE IT!! It made me so excited.

Well... after that I went to night class where we watched a movie (A 2 and a half hour long movie, sitting in a school desk, HORRIBLE). But there was a preview for the movie Shadowlands.... which happens to be a MOVIE BASED ON THE LIFE OF C.S. LEWIS!!! What in the world?! What is with all this C.S. Lewis stuff popping up into my head!! Our professor watched the preview and said it was one of her favorite movies, and recommended it to all of us. I love how random little connections are made in situations like that. Did you know that C.S. Lewis married his wife before he actually fell in love with her? Just a fun little fact for you to ponder.

Anyway, Amy, my other roommate and dear friend, let me borrow her copy of The Screwtape Letters. I just opened it up while writing this post and found this verse that GREATLY encouraged me.

Hebrews 12: 1-2: "...Let us lay aside every weight... and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the AUTHOR and FINISHER of our faith, who for the JOY that was set before him endured the cross... and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

I am thanking God for reminding me of the joy that comes in endurance and courage. I had a really tough night just struggling with a bunch of feelings and those words from Hebrews were exactly the words that I needed to have spoken into me tonight.

-CM

No comments: