Thursday, September 9, 2010

Running on empty

Ahhh today has been a tough-y. For some strange, unknown reason, I got three hours of sleep last night. Every now and then I will have a night where I just have difficulty falling asleep. I don't think there is anything more frustrating to me then just laying in the dark trying to sleep. I thought about just about everything there is to think about before I said enough of this... and went up to the living room at 4 a.m. and watched 'Family Matters' on ABC Family. Did I mention this was at 4 a.m.?

I had to get up at 9 for a meeting regarding my student teaching this spring. I'm pretty annoyed with it. I am going to have to pay close to $55 just to hand in my student teaching application, another $150-$200 to register and pay for tests needed for licensure to become a teacher. All this as the supervisor informed us that it isn't a good idea to have a job while student teaching, HOWEVER, we do have to provide our own transportation... therefore, also must provide our own gas. And not to mention I'm paying TUITION to student teach!!! Phew. That was my venting, done for the night. I think. I know I shouldn't worry about the details behind how I'm gonna pay for all this, in fact, I'm blessed to be able to live nearly debt-free after college, and it's four months of my life. But still, I just hate all the stupid fees that are needed to pay just for processing an application! WHY MEEEEEEEE!!!!! (Maddie!) After the meeting my friend Kate turned around and just mumbled "Oh, yuck." Yup, my thoughts exactly.

Anyway, after the meeting I had a random lunch at school and then jetted off to pick up Bernice for her hair appointment. For two summers I have had the privilege of taking a 93 year old woman, named Bernice, to get her hair done weekly. Occasionally we do other things, we used to go to movies, the library, the zoo, but she is sort of slowing down in life and it's become nearly impossible just to get her out of the house to get her hair done these days. I finally convinced her that she needed to go today after she INSISTED on canceling. Bernice is a brunette by choice, but truly grey by genetics, and it's been about two months since she's had a cut or color. She was starting to look a bit Cruella Devil-ish, and NEEDED to get out and go. We discussed back and forth her options and she finally gave in. Truthfully, I think it was the sad puppy eyes I flashed at her that did it, but what do I know? :-) She is so so so cute. Just a tiny, shrinking old lady with nothing but spunk and personality to keep her going. She keeps begging me to tell Karen, her stylist, to dye her hair red. And today, as I was reading People magazine at the salon, she pointed to the cover and said "How are things going with Sandra??" Me: Huh? Who is Sandra? "Sandra!" And there is Sandra Bullock on the cover holding her newly adopted child. And Bernice goes on and on about how she thinks its just wonderful that she has adopted, that she ditched that tattooed husband of hers, "I wonder if Sandra is Jewish..." (Bernice is Jewish). I just love that woman. She blesses me and probably doesn't even know it, to be honest, I don't even know if she remembers my name after all this time. Doesn't matter! She is a feisty, adorable little peach and I have so much fun taking her out each week. I fell asleep in the salon chair when she was getting her hair done because I was so tired and it was no fun. Dozing off in weird, uncomfortable positions is never a good idea. I walked to Walgreens and bought some sleeping pills (non habit forming, okay!!) to help me fall asleep tonight. I'm not taking any chances, I WILL get sufficient sleep!!

After dropping off Bernice, I went home to switch out cars with my mom because heaven forbid I make Bernice try to hoist her little body up into the Jeep. Well, mom wasn't home. She called and said to meet her at Bethel, and by this time I had already pulled her car into the garage, where my dog was kenneled up. He got all excited and giddy and happy that someone was going to let him out, and then I had to be a big fat tease and leave the house. Poor dog. I felt bad. I then made it home and watched Pet Hoarders on Animal Planet, thought about throwing up at the woman who has 65 cats, and fell asleep. For five minutes or so, til Jackie entered the living room asking me what song is it where they sing "Practice what you preach...." Hmm.. I'm sleepy, but it's gonna bug me if I don't figure it out. Aha!! It's Gavin Degraw, In love with a Girl. No No, Jackie says it's Black Eyed Peas, Where is the Love. Wait, it's both!! Score. And I'm awake. And I'm still watching Pet Hoarders. Gross.

This was my day up until about two hours ago when Jack and I started watching the Vikings game. Does anyone find it insane that Brett Favre is a GRANDFATHER playing professional football??? How has his arm not fallen off and flown through the air with the football pass? Don't get me wrong, I love Favre, I love the Vikes, but he is seriously the grandfather of the NFL. It makes me laugh.

Dustin update: He arrived today in BOSTON! Jealous? I am. I have never been and am dying to visit there someday. He did the Freedom Walk in Boston, ate at Man vs. Food stop number 10, and found a place to park his car and sleep for the night. I know, he sleeps in his car, it's okay. It's Dusty. Tomorrow I believe he is headed for Cape Cod, another dream destination of mine. I hope someday I can visit there myself, but not BY myself, I would love to travel there with my most absolute favorite person ever. I miss him so much. Gosh dangit.



I mean, just look at him! Don't know about you, but I think that there may just be the most good lookin', adorable, most lovable guy I've ever laid my eyes on. I would do anything just to squeeze him right now, in a big, bear hug sort of way.

If this post was weird, it's because I took my sleeping pills midway through it. Sorry all! And off to bed I go.

No comments: