Monday, September 6, 2010

Some days are diamonds, others are dirt.

^^^ The above is my motto for the day. Some days can be pure dirt, I tell ya.

The weekend, however, was great. I spent Friday and Saturday evening in Iowa, road-tripping with Katie and her brother and cousin to the first Bethel football game against Simpson College. We had a great great time there and back and I even got to meet Pookie, Katie's stuffed animal puppy that she brought nearly everywhere (JK). We (Me, Katie, Maddie, Randi, and Courtney) watched the second half of Titanic on Friday night at the hotel before bed. What a depressing way to end your day, right?? I forgot how sad that movie is, and I was really worried that I was going to have wicked nightmares but... I didn't! Instead, I laid in bed afterward trying to sleep for a good two hours or so. I don't know what it is about hotel rooms/beds/sheets/pillows, but I just can't get myself to fall asleep in them. It sucks.

We all woke up early on Saturday morning ready for the day and game... Had breakfast quick and then went back to the room where Katie and I spent the morning watching Enchanted (great movie I had forgotten about) while Maddie, Courtney and Randi got ready quick to head off to the game (They are the managers!). Katie and I drove to the game and COULD NOT find a Starbucks anywhere in little Indianola, Iowa. What the heck. What town thinks it's okay to just not have a Starbucks. I'm kidding, again. Anyway, the football team won and played great... we had a smooth drive home, and it was great to spend time with my friends down in Iowa!

When we got home from Iowa, I headed to Target just to kill time. Never do this. Not that I need to tell you because I know that half the people reading this have probably made this mistake before. I spent $40 on absolutely nothing that I needed. I did, however, get a new bath towel for $3.50 and it is fabulous. Nothing like new sheets, new socks, and new bath towels, in my opinion.

Friday and Saturday were diamond days.

Sunday I spent the day working at the nursing home. My shifts at EagleCrest are usually pretty easy, and I hadn't worked there in a few days so I was actually excited to hang out with my friends at work and to see the oldies that live there. However, one person called in sick to work and another got sick mid-shift and had to leave work early. So we had a little bit of extra work on our hands. I was a bit tired after my shift, but happy to go home to my mom and have a little afternoon with her. She had heard about this great new consignment shop near Rosedale mall, so of course we had to stop! We found a few cute items and then headed to Pier 1, where I got a cute candle holder and candle that is battery powered! So I don't have to worry about fire hazards! Later I had dinner at the Loring Pasta Bar with Randi and Nicole. I had never been there before but have always heard great things, and it was delicious. We got to hang out back at our house, and watched "The Sixth Sense" with Maddie, Amy, and Kristin. Forgot how crazy that movie is! We then explored all that there is to do on my Roku player (which streams Netflix movies instantly). We were able to look at my friends' Facebook pictures, go on Pandora, and watch pretty much any movie/tv show in the world. If you like watching movies like I do, I highly recommend getting a Netflix membership. It's so cheap! Nine bucks a month! Unlimited Rentals! We all went to bed LATE at about 1:30-2 ish. In the morning, yes. Yikes..

Sunday was a diamond day.

Today (Monday) started out a bit rough. I had weird dreams last night, I woke up at 10 after sleeping through my alarm, and I had had HAD to shower. I felt gross and greasy, and I had somewhere to be at noon, while in the meantime my grandpa (Bless his sweet 89 year old heart) was on his way over to help fix my collapsed clothing rod that hangs in my closet. I felt rushed to get ready and I looked outside to see that it was gloomy and rainy. I managed to get ready in time to get picked up by Jana, a friend of mine who I went to Europe with this past January and who shares my same major. We picked up another friend and headed to the Bethel History Department Faculty/Student Barbeque---wahhooooo! It was actually not bad. Free food, Bethel's history professors, and fellow dorky history major students. What could be better on a day off from school?? Right?
After that, I kind of found myself in a down mood. It was crappy out, and I really really missed Dusty today. We have only been apart for 8 days as of today, but it feels like it's been forever, and that means I have a long road ahead of me in being apart when he officially moves. I've had a great first week of school seeing people and hanging out with my friends, but I'm wondering when the time comes that I get to hang out with Dusty, and it makes me sad. He's far away and I'm doing life here without him actually HERE, a first for me. I went home for dinner and after having a conversation on the phone with Dust, I just broke down. Sat on the steps of my garage, and the tears just came out. I didn't realize that the door to the backyard was open, and in rushed my sweet puppy Moses. Normally he would try to bolt out the garage door, but he looks right at my face (which at this point was soaked with tears) and he started licking them all up. I love my dog. How do they know feelings like that? I especially love Moses because he is a big giant lioness of a dog and that means when I say "Hug, MO!" he jumps up and literally hugs me. Which is nice when your favorite guy isn't around to give you a hug himself.

So needless to say, Monday was kind of a dirt day.

It's tough getting used to life without my best friend. I am lucky to be able to talk and text him nearly as much as I want, but we always spent so much time together and I am in some serious withdrawal. I think I just needed a night to be sad, and get it out of my system. Oh... my mom made me puppy chow tonight, which really helped with the sadness I was talking about earlier. Love my mom.

Maddie just told me that when kangaroos are happy, they rub their chest. Think it will rub off on me as a human? I just realized that would look weird in public, I'm not going to try it. Still cute though.

No comments: