Tuesday, August 16, 2011

One of these things just doesn't belong.

So, this is my bathroom cupboard. It's cluttered, full of products... and I'll admit to using about seven of them on a regular basis.

And no, your eyes aren't deceiving you. There is a tub of Crisco on the upper shelf.

An explanation is in order of course, but not without a bit of a back story. I blogged last weekend about how I couldn't wait to see the movie THE HELP. Well, I saw it. And I loved it! And I'm also waiting to blog about it soon so I can explain just how much I really did enjoy the movie. Anyway, there is a scene in the movie where Minnie (one of the main characters) is teaching Miss Celia (the woman Minnie works for) how to make fried chicken. When she puts a slab of Crisco on the frying pan.. she explains how Crisco is the miracle household item. Not only is it a staple ingredient in cooking... but it can fix a squeaky door hinge... Take a makeup stain out of clothing, AND soften your husband's scaly feet!

And that got me to thinking.

It reminded me of January 2010 when my friend Chelsea and I were in the city of Paris (You are probably thinking, where the HECK are you going with this... You just uploaded a picture of CRISCO in your makeup cabinet). There was a night on our Europe trip that we were just plain TIRED of walking and decided to have a little bit of a beauty pick-me-up by slathering our feet with Vaseline, putting socks on over our feet, and going to bed. We both woke up the next day with unbelievably smooth feet, completely moisturized. So it made me curious about what Minnie said in the movie about the feet. So I googled "alternative uses for Crisco" and found out that not only does it in fact smooth the skin on your feet.... but it apparently works on other parts of the body, too. I read countless reviews of women who used Crisco as an alternative to EXPENSIVE FACIAL MOISTURIZER. I couldn't believe it. Who would apply shortening to their face?????

But my curiosity continued to get the best of me. I then googled whether or not doctors recommend Crisco for bodily use. Just typing those words doesn't seem right. But sure enough... It is doctor recommended! This is what Dr. Bark says (no idea what kind of doctor, just found him on a dermatologist website...)

"If you want the cheapest home remedy going, use Crisco," says Dr. Bark. "It's a wonderful moisturizer that covers the skin and keeps water locked in. The key is to use very little and rub it in well so your hands don't feel greasy. Your skin needs only two molecules' worth of barrier thickness to protect it from water loss. They used to call Crisco Cream C at Duke University, where doctors dispensed it freely. It really works."

This is where I started to wonder. Could it really work?

So last night, I experimented similarly to what Chelsea and I did to Europe... and applied Crisco shortening to my feet.

And I woke up this morning- they were amazingly smooth!!
That was the experimental part... now today, I took it a step further.


Friends, I applied it to my face as a moisturizer. There, I said it.


I had to give it a shot. Part of the reason I trust what the websites say is because of the active ingredients found in Crisco. This product is 15% Vitamin E, a resource that is VERY good for skin! It contains several other ingredients that I found in every facial care product that I use. I went out on a limb, and I tried it. And now, I'm awaiting results. Oh and I also feel I should mention, I used about a small dab on my pinky finger for my face. That was all it took. Just about a pea sized amount.

I wrote earlier this month about the woes of terrible skin. I am literally desperate to try something that just might work, and is an EXTREMELY cheap alternative to the over-priced, high end stuff. So I resorted to something that I had to dig through my kitchen cupboards to find.

Judge me... or see for yourself. Just google what I did. You will be amazed at what you find out.

Oh and don't worry, I will continue to post updates on how the Crisco is treating me.


No comments: