Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Hot Spots of the Twin Cities

I have the week off from work, so yesterday my mom and I got up a little early and decided to do breakfast. A few months ago, my mom saw the Colossal Cafe on the show "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" -- If you are unfamiliar, it is hosted by the bleached blonde guy at the top^^^

Anyway, rewind to June, when my mom, brother and I headed out to the Colossal Cafe for breakfast on a Monday morning... trekking across town to the Cedar/Hiawatha area of MPLS, and to our disappointment, they are CLOSED on Mondays! We were so bummed... but this week, we finally hit it up on a Tuesday and arrived at our destination yesterday around 11 a.m. *Sidenote: my mom had to make a pit stop at the Farmers Market beforehand, then I had to mail out my Netflix DVD, and on the exit to the freeway, an older guy driving a pick up truck had dumped the contents in his truck bed, which turned out to be about 10 lb. boxes of broasted chicken, so we helped him clear the road by clearing out the heavy boxes.

My mom and I were one, so relieved to find they are OPEN on Tuesdays and two, so overwhelmed at their appealing menu. After much deliberation, we each ordered a breakfast sandwich of egg, tomato and fresh feta cheese on their homemade toast.
The Colossal Cafe located at 42nd and Cedar Ave in Minneapolis

While waiting for our food, my mom and i were growing extremely hungry, noticing that several people around us were also becoming slightly impatient for their food as well. The wait for our food ended up being 50 minutes long!! AH! At that point I was totally annoyed. Mainly just because I was starving, or because I tend to be more impatient than anything. We finally did get our food, and I set aside my annoying feelings, and took one bite of my sandwish and WOOSH I was instantly happy. This food is AMAZING!!! And definitely worth the wait. I snarfed down everything in a matter of minutes and then immediately dove into the bowl of fresh fruit that my mom ordered alongside. This wasn't your typical go to Perkins and eat crunchy cantaloupe with old shriveled grapes "fresh" fruit- this was amazing blackberries, blueberries, strawberries and banana fresh fruit. The way it should be!

We walked out of Colossal Cafe completely satisfied, despite the wait. Before leaving we offered our table in the shade to a woman who had just ordered and she asked us if we had seen the episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives... and we said yes! She then asked if we saw it last night and we were like... uh, no? Three months ago? Apparently it was on the night before, and we put two and two together and realized that's what caused the crazy wait!!!

So please, if you are looking for a good breakfast spot, I HIGHLY recommend this place! It was delicious, and not to mention fairly cheap! My mom and I combined cost about 15 bucks total, adding in drinks! I loved it. Definitely a new TC hotspot for me.

If you can guess from my love of food, I have a lot more hotspots in the area that I would love to recommend, so if you don't mind, I'll throw some more your way in a future blog post. Happy Wednesday!

No comments: