Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Midsummer Night's Blog Post

I woke up this morning and was honestly kind of shocked to check my phone on this day, July 13th. Considering that the past two weeks are a literal blur of basically anything and everything, I guess I let myself become kind of preoccupied with savoring the summer moments that are rapidly flying by. So now that I feel I can breathe again, what have I been doing this summer?

~I did follow through with my previous blog post on summer reading (read here if you missed it) by finishing both American Wife and the first Hunger Games book. Both of them, as expected, I could not put down. I am now reading Catching Fire, the second book in the Hunger Games series. Yesterday, Dust and I went to Border's after seeing the movie "Horrible Bosses" and it took everything I had not to buy a book on clearance.

~I spent the 4th of July in Jamestown, North Dakota. Home to the world's largest buffalo. We traveled up with Callie, her boyfriend Andy, and spent the weekend with the rest of the Wahl clan. It was a great weekend and just like last year, I felt completely at home and comfortable with every member of the fam. They are a pretty special group.

There he is... the largest buffalo himself. This photo was actually taken last year. I did not bring a camera up to ND this time around... oops.

~Even given the incredibly unfortunate circumstances, I got the chance to reconnect with some of my closest high school friends this past week, many of whom came into town specifically for Sean's funeral. Although it was hard, and very sad, it was really pretty nice to be able to reconnect and share memories from through out the years. It's been really nice seeing my girlfriends and catching up on each other's lives, like I said.

~I have been really enjoying my nannying job. I work with a 14 year old and an 11 year old who are both really fun and very easy to get along with. The parent's are great, flexible, and all around just a really nice family. I've been blessed with this time of summer to just kind of relax and unwind after graduation. I'm okay with having a bit of a break before looking for full time work.

Just a small recap on the funeral this past Monday... I thought it was a beautiful service. I was so incredibly encouraged by the pastor's message, as he mentioned that most recently Sean had become very involved with an athletics bible study at Purdue, while also spending quite a bit of time with Fellowship of Christian Athletes. I had no idea that Sean had involvement in FCA! How cool. It's funny, over the years, especially when I was young, I really had a hard time becoming comfortable discussing my faith with my friends from Roseville because for others, I felt it was such a foreign concept. Really one of the few people I recall discussing it with was Sean. It really got me when I heard he was actively pursuing a relationship with God. Monday (and Sunday night, at the memorial) was filled with a lot of tears and sadness over a life that ended too soon. I took it harder than I ever anticipated. Nothing could prepare you to watch your friend become lowered into the ground in a box. It just didn't seem real, at all. But I can't tell you how much support and love poured out of people I grew up with at that funeral. It was overwhelming, and it was amazing. To see so many lives touched by somebody is humbling for me. I was truly inspired by what was said and reflected on in remembering Sean. I've learned a lot through this experience... But I think the thing that sticks out to me most is this: Love God, Love others, and you will be blessed.

I have also been working part-time, still, at Eagle Crest with the elderly folk, which is where I'm headed to now. One day I think I need to do a blog post on some of the crazy things those old people say and do each day that I'm working. It's hysterical, for sure.

Up next for me for the remaining summer months: More work, more reading, HARRY POTTER 7 PART 2 (tomorrow!!!!!), four weddings, two road trips, and hopefully... just hopefully! A trip somewhere. To be determined. I will keep you posted, no worries.

No comments: