Monday, July 25, 2011

A challenge

Lately when I've been getting ready in the mornings, I have been applying my makeup with a frown on my face.

Maybe it's because I find the process annoying and time consuming, maybe it's because I'm bitter that all I can afford these days is the cheap stuff from Target, or maybe it's because I feel like no matter what I do to prevent it, I can not avoid a break out for the life of me.

Does anyone else seem to have this kind of problem?

I have never suffered hard from acne, but I will be the first to admit that now and again I do experience break outs and my problem??? I can't NOT pick at my zits and pimples!
AH!!!

It's been indoctrinated into me since I hit puberty years ago; my mom would take one look at my face... point out a blackhead, and instantly come at me with her long nails and PINCH. And back then, I hated it! But she began a routine that would eventually become a habit for me personally. Now when I spot a whitehead, a blackhead, or anything that looks suspicious, I squeeze, and it's gone.

That is, until about a day later when a nice little red scab or blemish takes it place. And maybe you think this is nasty... but I LIKE POPPING ZITS!!!
I looked at myself today and just kinda groaned. You can't see the freshly popped zit just to the right of my nose. I couldn't help myself

The reason I'm telling this story of my sad skin is because lately, I have felt somewhat challenged to re-examine why I suffer from these break outs.. and what I could do to prevent them. The salon that I take Bernice to on Fridays is largely eco-friendly, and over the years I have gotten to know several of the stylists and the owner, all very nice women who are good at what they do. Now, when I hear the words "eco-friendly" I sometimes roll my eyes. I know that going green in today's society is becoming more of a hard-pressed issue, but I sometimes view it as being new-age-y and kind of annoying and can we say EXPENSIVE? I browse the organic sections of my local grocery store and find that I have to spend at least double to buy organic products... sorry, but no thanks. I am a college grad with no full time job.

Regardless, I recently learned from the salon owner, who has developed her own line of organic shampoo and conditioner, that the problem with my skin could be what I'm using and applying on my face each day. Through the owner, I found the following website that allows users to check the toxicity of products used in individual beauty routines each day.

After checking several of the products that I use personally, I was really shocked to find that several of them are high in toxicity and that left me with an unsettled feeling. Certainly it could also be contributing to the fact that I have break outs like mad now and then. I even went so far as to check the products I use on my hair, my nails, even my teeth!!!

I am by no means an environmentalist, but I have been challenged lately by what I use daily as a "beauty" regimen when in reality... it's causing harm to my skin. I can't necessarily afford the splurge of products such as Bare Minerals, MAC, or Arbonne... but I'm beginning to think if its a non-negotiable to splurge for something much more healthy for my skin. Any of you have tips or suggestions for better beauty products?

I myself have made a few small changes in my daily routine by investing in products... the following are a list of products that I have found helpful in keeping skin AND hair healthy and also score low on the toxicity scale, as given by ewg.com:
Clinique's dramatically different moisturizing gel has helped improve the condition of my face drastically since I started using it about three months ago. I have noticed an improvement in dryness on my face and it lasts long to keep my face feeling smooth and of course... moisturized!
Redken Extreme Anti-Snap is a product I've used for about a year now... about two to three times a week on my hair. It has helped to SIGNIFICANTLY improve my hair health... I've noticed a decrease in split-ends, and a decrease in dryness.
I was introduced to this amazing lip gloss at Kenzie's bachelorette party... We were all complaining about how burnt lips can get in the summer sun, and a friend of Kenzie's suggested Neutrogena MoistureShine. Normally I am not a fan of lip gloss, but I gave this a try and I love it. It has SPF infused into it and leaves my lips feeling moisturized and safe from the sun's rays.

This is perhaps my saving grace in getting ready for the day after a shower... Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion was recommended to me by my dermatologist in high school and I have never looked back since. It helps keeps my skin from becoming dry and works all day to continue giving me that feeling. I HIGHLY recommend it and it's affordable! Easily available at your local drugstore or Target.

Okay, so I'm not claiming to be an expert on this stuff... I just want to pass the word along about being challenged on this issue. Some may not consider it an issue at all, and that's fine. I just have become more aware now on how certain things can become harmful to our body's largest organ... our skin! And I also want to mention... these products are ALL products that were recommended to me by people who have used them and seen the results.

What do you guys think? Is it important to consider the chemicals, ingredients, and toxins that make up the products we use daily, or does it really matter? Is it all in our head??

Next time I look at myself in the mirror, please say a silent prayer that I OVERLOOK the little whitehead that seems to be screaming, POP ME!

No comments: