Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Vday Faves

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY, EVERYONE!!!

Okay, that's enough pink for one blog post. Like many other bloggers out there, I am not quite into the whole holiday/celebration/commercialization of the Valentine's Day holiday, however, it still is kinda fun to devote an entire day to the celebration of LOVE. Since Dusty has to work tonight (no big deal, trust me) we actually celebrated with a date last night. We are both kinda cheapskates and decided to go to this dinky restaurant in St. Paul called "Chris and Rob's Chicago Dogs." It's a Chi-town themed restaurant in the heart of the Twin Cities with cheap "authentic" Chicago Hot Dogs. I'm not a big Chicago dog person, but since Dusty is a big food-anything person, we went for it and got out of there spending less than $10!

We then traveled further into the city to one of my favorite restaurants- KINCAIDS. If you have ever been there you know they are famous for their steak and seafood. Needless to say, it's a pretty expensive place where we do NOT eat often. Dust and I actually went there on New Years Day for happy hour and a good friend of mine from high school was working. They had a limited promotion of handing out complimentary $20 off cards and we ended up helping ourselves to about SIX cards (confession: we also gave one away to some friends as a wedding gift, don't judge and don't tell). So one of the cards was used last night on dessert. Both of us delighted in some Chocolate Indulgence Cake and Coffee with a little Bailey's mixed in :)
Dustin indulging.

Me indulging!
Dusty got me a bamboo plant for Valentine's Day! I used to have one at my house in college but sadly, it died (I know what you're thinking: How do you KILL a bamboo plant? I'll tell you- you study abroad and put your roommate in charge of watering it, and they forget. The End). I got Dust a new pair of sweatpants, the first season of FAMILY MATTERS (!) and those sugar loaded frosting cookies from Target.

So in the spirit of the holiday- I've been thinking THEMES. What are your favorite Valentine's Day things? Movies? Books? Traditions? Do you think the holiday is kinda pointless, but secretly fun like I do? Here are my Vday FAVES:

MOVIE: My favorite Rom-Com- definitely Runaway Bride starring Julia Roberts and Richard Gere. It's been at the top of this category since about 5th grade.

Other notable favorites: Love Actually (even though it's more of a Christmas movie), My Best Friend's Wedding (another Julia gem), and Beauty and the Beast :)

BOOK: I loved Water for Elephants last year. I consider that to be a legit romance novel, with a little historical twist. I also love love LOVE The Notebook. Both books I got thru within a span of about 3 1/2 days. Loved them, loved them! Any good romance novel suggestions out there?

MEMORY: When my sister and I were little, my mom ALWAYS dyed our food red or pink on Valentine's Day. She dyed the milk in our cereal, our food that she packed in lunches, and whatever dinner creation she prepared at home. And she ALWAYS got us little treats. It was something to look forward to! She even got us presents this year (as I am blushing with embarassment typing away). I love my mom. She is a thoughtful woman, that one.

Hmm... now I am blanking on more themes. I'll have to maybe think of some later and add to the list. I'm feeling rather stupid that I work at a school and forgot to wear red or pink today! Foolish me! I am actually wearing blue and grey- how boring for a holiday like this one. I actually got an email last hour that singing candy-grams will be delivered to our classes today through out the next four hours. Now if that isn't something to look forward to, I don't know what is. As long as it looks something like this...


Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: