Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Top 8th Grade Moments

My future sister-in-law, Callie, called me today and asked me how 8th grade was going. I actually plan to inform all of YOU exactly how this crazy job came to be soon... but she encouraged me to blog about the funny moments because my response? "8th grade is just PEACHY." So I have compiled a list. No particular order really because every day is honestly a new adventure.

10. On my fourth day I found a piece of paper stuck to the wall with two "B" letters written back to back (I'm assuming this is a band symbol or maybe just some trend I am unaware of...?) Well, it was annoying there so I took it off, crumpled it up and threw it away. Didn't think anything of it. My last class of the day came along and a student asked me what happened to the paper. I told him it got tossed. "Well... you didn't TOUCH it, did you?!" Oh no.... "Um, no I didn't, why?" (My response). "Because __________ stuck that to the wall with his own SNOT!" 
I immediately b-line it to the bathroom to wash my hands, even though it had been hours. Too little, too late.

9. Being told on my second day that the way I talk is similar to that of a "motivational speaker" :) 

8. Anytime I see a middle school couple walking down the hall, I bite my cheek to keep from laughing. Nothing is more hysterical than a 5 foot 1 boy with his arm draped around the waist of a 5 foot 6 girl... wait, I take that back. The silent quick "side hug" before coming into class IS more hysterical.

7. I tweeted about this recently, but for whatever reason.. these kids call me "Miss M." Something about it just makes me smile. It makes me feel so much older than I am. 

6. Ironically, after that last one, on my first day, a student guessed my age to be at about 19.

5. No matter how long the hair on the guys, I can always tell when the ipod earbuds are in. There is no fooling me. This is part of why I enjoy being a younger teacher. I know what's up. I'm no idiot.

4. The kids asked me if I have any siblings. I answer yes, I do. A 20 year old sister and a 15 year old brother. I had probably... five, six 8th grade girls ask me to see a picture of said 15 year old brother, to which I quickly responded, "No."

3. Same group of girls asked for my brother's name because they wanted to friend him on Facebook (Again, I said no). Social Media, I swear, is the bane of my existence in being a teacher. I get friend requests ALL THE TIME from students, especially from the last school I was at. Really? I am not going to be your friend. You don't need to read my status updates, you don't need to know what I did last Friday night, and in turn, I don't need to know about your life. The things I catch myself hearing in the halls are PLENTY enough.

2. Flattering moment: I get about fifty compliments a day on my handwriting. "YOU HAVE THE COOLEST HANDWRITING MISS M!" "MISS M, write me a pass so I can save your handwriting on a piece of paper!!" A little weird, but I'm not gonna lie, I enjoy it. 

1. This is a classic, and something not unique to middle school in my experience. I have so many students absent who approach me the next day... "Did we do anything when I was gone?" I am so tempted every time to say, "No, we didn't do a THING. We were so upset about you being gone that we stopped everything we were doing and mourned your loss. It was a really really sad time. I'm so glad your back because now we can pick up where you left off." 

Or I could answer with my other favorite, "We had a big party and didn't learn anything. Sorry you missed it."

1 comment:

Callie said...

Yes! The long awaited update on the 8th grade. Doesn't sounds like things have changed much since I was in 8th grade. Ah middle school...the one time in my life when I knew EVERYTHING!