Sunday, February 26, 2012

Looking back on things

I know I've raved about being married and getting restless and just wanting the daily routine of living with Dusty, and sharing our lives together.

But when my mom told me today that this summer, her and my dad are remodeling the kitchen to fit in an island table for 3, I almost cried.

Because that means that come this summer, I won't live in my home anymore. I won't wake up everyday to see both my parents having devotions in the living room. I won't come home to "the beast" (Moses) everyday desperate for attention. Beau won't bother me with YouTube videos and I won't crawl into bed every night in my comfy room downstairs with my ten blankets and five pillows. 

Of course I'm beyond thrilled and excited to be getting married. Of course I am so incredibly excited to share my life with Dusty- but I can't help but wonder, where the time went to get me to this point? 

Where did my Saturday morning's watching Recess and Pepper Ann disappear to? What happened to my basketball practices in middle school that I HATED with a passion? When did I stop sporting the short bob haircut? When did Beau grow up? When did Carls move out? How in the world is it possible for me to be turning 23 next month? And since when did my paycheck come from being a teacher???!!

I always laughed at people who said "Life's too short" because it always seemed that the best moments in life were yet to pass me by. Now I'm looking back on a lifetime (so far) worth of memories and thinking about how it could be that some of my best moments have come and gone. And yet some of the best are still yet to come.

You'll have to excuse my sappy-ness. It's a Sunday night, it's a school night, I'm still not asleep at 11 pm, and I'm thoroughly disappointed that The Help didn't win Best Picture at the Oscars. 

If I have to grow up, if I really must grow up, then I better have a child someday, far down the road, who somehow could be this adorably cute. 

If I do say so myself.

2 comments:

Callie said...

Wow Casey. Those are the exact thoughts and emotions that went through my head leading up to the wedding. And I still think about 2 months in.

It's weird not to have to leave at the end of the night. It's weird to share a bed and not get the coveted spot in the middle. It's weird to have an argument and have nowhere to go. It's weird, weird, weird. And yet all those things that are weird, are the best parts too. I love not having to go home at night. I love cuddling up to him in the middle of the night. I love seeing him in the morning and before I go to bed. I love having a partner to do life with. There is always someone to hang out with!

But it's change. And you know how both of our spiritual gifts are change! Ha. But it's good change. Wonderful change in fact!

Brittaney said...

O Pepper Ann... I remember those days all too well!

And I can remember feeling the exact same way before our wedding. But being married and getting to live with Dust will be so amazing, definitely a change, and not necessarily always easy, but will be so great!

And now having a one month old, somehow time only goes by faster, so try and enjoy this "in-between" period as much as you can because before you know it you're going to be married!