Friday, January 13, 2012

Today's Inspiration comes from... A former student.

First of all, I never thought that I would reach a time in my life where I could actually type the words... "a FORMER student."

Last year when I was student teaching, I decided to do something for the kids at the end of placement. I had been at the school for three months and two weeks and my time was coming to a close. I truly had some wonderful kids (all mostly 10th graders) and wanted to let them know that they meant a lot to me, so I wrote each one of them a card.

Now, I promise I am not just writing this publicly to get the "awwww!" response out of you because after starting, I immediately regretted this decision. You have no idea how daunting it became to write 100 cards to students highlighting the "You always came to class with a smile" or "You are such a hard worker" or "I appreciated your efforts in class." It took FOREVER. I am sure that those of you that have had to write thank you notes for grad parties, weddings, or showers can relate. Just a long, hard, tiring process.

Well, not only was I lucky enough to land a temporary job at the same school where I student taught, but I have once again been very blessed with five classes of WONDERFUL kids. This time they are 11th and 12th graders. Some of my 11th grade students are students I had last year. I have had an amazing three month experience with these kids, and sadly, next week, it is coming to a close. I toyed with the idea of doing the card thing again and decided to bag it. I actually decided officially this morning on my drive to work- no cards this year. It would take too long and I have way too much to do between now and next Friday. Decision made.

Then I just HAD to fill my water bottle up today after my fifth period, when I ran into a former student from last year, who I don't even HAVE as a student now. I didn't notice him right away until he said... "Ms. Miller?"

He's not the type of kid to just approach a teacher for fun so I said hello and asked him how he was doing. He said fine, and then, he told me this...

"Do you know how much it meant to me to get that card from you last year?"

UGH!! The magic words that tug on my heartstrings! He preceded to say (EXACT WORDS) that he felt it was very sincere and thoughtful of me to write the cards and then told me he still has it at home.

I guess that is motivation enough to reverse my earlier card decision. I had every intention of not doing it. I really did! But his brief words on how much it meant to him- I just can't ignore it now. It made my whole entire day. It's so interesting for me to be in this field of work where one day, a single student can honestly make your entire day so stressful, so hard... and others, all it takes is one kid to say the magic words that make it all worth it. I am so grateful for what he said. I am so grateful for my job. I absolutely LOVE what I do. Being a teacher is hard but it is such a rewarding career.

And for the record, I HATE that I have to be done with it next Friday.

Off to write those cards...

No comments: