Sunday, January 9, 2011

OH boy.

Well, last Friday I met with Janine, the cooperating teacher I'm working with this spring at Mahtomedi High School, and got the rundown on what the next three months of my life are going to look like. Having the meeting both lifted a lot of weight off my shoulders, but also kind of freaked me out. I sat in an empty classroom and wondered how in the world I was going to manage being in charge of nearly 100 tenth graders. Not only that, but being held responsible for their learning US history? Kind of a scary thought?

I'm really nervous but trying not to let it get to me because I want to enjoy this time. On Thursday, I have another meeting with Janine to discuss the rough draft of my first unit plan on the Great Depression/1930's (YIKES!!) I'm also going to observe her teach for a couple of hours just to get a feel for what a day at MHS looks like. It's so weird... I can't believe that I am going to be given free reign to teach and learn how to teach.

Just in discussing things with some of the staff members I met, I do know that I am extremely blessed with this opportunity. I've met about five or six other people from the school who were SO welcoming and talkative, and genuinely excited about me being at the school. I start in about two and a half weeks. In that time I have to manage to complete another unit plan and also enjoy cruising the Hawaiian islands in the meantime- again, a lot to tackle in a short amount of time :)

I figured I'd give a quick update to people out there reading and also figure I better use the time to ask a few things of you, if you are reading:
PRAYER- please pray for me to let go of anxiety, use my time wisely, and accept suggestions and criticism without taking it personally. And pray that I enjoy myself too!

I left the meeting feeling good about my placement. Janine said something that kind of lightened the mood after taking in a LOT of information... "Teaching isn't reinventing the wheel, it's stealing and modifying. Not very Christ-like, but we steal." I guess that kind of makes sense? (PS... she is allowed to say that because she is a Bethel alum so she knew I would take the joke in good humor!)

No comments: