Sunday, January 2, 2011

2010.... Reflections on the past year!!!

Well... I have jumped on the "reflection" bandwagon because everything I've been reading about on the blogs seems to follow suit with looking back at the past year. What can I say, you all have inspired me (talking to my fellow bloggers, here).

Anyway, I was sitting by the fire just now at my parents (love it here) just thinking about this past year. Trying to remember everything that fit into it. Today we spent many long hours getting my dad packed up for his trip to Europe. He is co-teaching and leading a trip with Coach J (Katie and Maddie's dad) through out the European continent following in the footsteps of the BAND OF BROTHERS. While my entire family is beyond ecstatic for him to go, I am reminded that a short year ago, TONIGHT, I myself was laying in bed anticipating my trip to Europe as well. I can not fathom that it has already been a years time since that incredible experience. I have always hoped that some day I would be able to write about the Europe trip in relevance to SOMETHING, and here it is! For those that don't know, I was able to travel to Germany, Austria (my favorite country!), France, and England for 3 1/2 weeks with a Psychology J-term class at BU. I had never before been out of the country and so I approached the trip with both nervousness and anxiety, but a good kind. It was an amazing trip... I couldn't really tell you what I learned about Wundt, Adler and Freud, but I can tell you that I went on the trip knowing one person, and came back with a host of great new friends and acquaintances, and SEVERAL items crossed off my bucket list, including:

-Cruising down the Seine River at night by the light of the Eiffel Tower
-Visit to a concentration camp
-Seeing Wicked (and with a British accent cast at that!)

With the reflection of the Europe trip, I can say that this year was highlighted by quite a bit of TRAVEL. I was very privileged to be able to travel several places over the course of this past year, not just including the trip to the four countries, but also with three incredible Florida trips, and host of roadtrips across the midwest through the course of football season following Bethel in the playoffs. And the travel continues into 2011... in 12 days, my mother, grandma, brother and myself are off to Hawaii to cruise the islands! I am blessed that I was given these opportunities in 2010.

Two other words come to mind when I try to have a reflection on the past year. The first is CONNECTIONS, a theme I have seen especially in the start of this school year, my senior year. I have been beyond lucky to establish new friendships, as well as strenghtened old ones, and these connections have really helped contribute positively to a better "me." I have grown extremely close with girls that I didn't even really know last year, and also have been really happy in the way that my roommates and I have all grown even closer in our last year of college. Over the summer, I was blessed and lucky to live with two girls, Kristin and Tori, who moved in as acquiantances and moved out as dear friends. I work a job with people that I really like, something that not everyone can say about their workplace. I have really felt the connections that I have been blessed with in my life this year.

The second word that comes to mind is GROWTH. I never thought I could do half the things I did this past year... Saying goodbye to Dusty was such a struggle, but guess what? We're doing it! And have both grown IMMENSELY through it, at least I feel this way. School has become more of a breeze than it has a burden. I managed to get a 3.4 GPA this semester when my first semester of college, I got... well, let's just leave it at I have really improved as a student. I am learning what it means to pay bills and live somewhat independently through the time spent in my house off campus... it's really kind of cool how growing up, when approached with confidence and trust in God, of course, can really be a fun challenge, rather than a scary obstacle.

2010 was a pretty good year to me. Now for the fun part, if I had to highlight a "Top Ten of 2010" I believe it would go as follows: (and in no particular order)

1. PARIS!!
2. Watching Bethel beat St. Thomas the second time around
3. Dust and I being together for TWO YEARS :)
4. Visiting the new Harry Potter world at Universal Studios (I still need to post about that...!)
5. Chicago trip post-Thanksgiving
6. Countless times spent with the roommates (roommate dinner night comes to mind)
7. Favorite Dusty date: Valentine's day dinner with all you can eat crab legs and seeing the musical "RENT"
8. 4th of July in Jamestown with Dusty's family
9. Celebrating Jackie's birthday with SATC 2 movie and time with my girlfriends
10. Florida- all three trips and great times spent with Dusty and my cousin!

No new years resolutions for me yet.... I find them to be somewhat unrealistic. I did give up pop one year, for about four months and it was an uphill battle followed by a downhill relapse. I could never break up with Diet Coke.

Anyway, that's my version of the 2010 recap. Hopefully I whip myself into shape in 2011 and continue on with writing on here! Happy New Year everyone!!

No comments: