Thursday, January 27, 2011

Music in my life... Winter edition

It is time, my friends, to update you on the latest and greatest in music. If you will remember, I did two posts awhile back on my favorite songs at the time and as time passes, of course, new songs are introduced into my life.

I have been on a bit of a country kick lately but also still have some mad love for my alternative beats, while still secretly enjoying rap music as I always have. Here are my top ten favorite songs of wintertime that I hope you will find enjoyable as I have over the last couple of cold months:

(and as always, these are in no particular order)
1. Timing is Everything- Garrett Hedlund... One of the best songs from the "Country Strong" soundtrack, although the actual movie itself was not that good. A little fun fact about Mr. Hedlund... He is an MN native with a killer voice, and looks to match. Specifically his hometown is Roseau, MN, which is where my grandma Marian grew up. Interesting.

2. Pursuit of Happiness- Kid Cudi. The reason I am a fan of this guys music is because he doesn't just rattle at the mouth with dumb rap lyrics, he can sing but doesn't overdo it, and his lyrics actually make sense and are interesting. I have been a Kid Cudi fan for a long time, as Dusty introduced me to his music right around February of 2009, a few months after we started dating. Any music Dusty suggests is generally worth checking out, as a rule.

3. Don't Let Me Fall- B.o.B. Most people know this artist because of his hit summer tune, "Beautiful girls... all over the world..." however, if you check out his lesser known stuff, there is much much better material of his out there. This is one of my favorites, and also was introduced to me by Nicole, my friend who has just started a blog. If you want to listen to another good song of his, check out "Ghost in the Machine"

4. Love Only Knows- Josh Groban. Every year at Christmas, our extended family does a gift exchange and this year, I ended up with the Josh Groban CD, "Illuminations." The majority of this CD is perfect, but this song is my favorite because of his voice, the soft guitar at the beginning, and the lyrics along with it.

5. Dirt Road Anthem- Jason Aldean. LOVE THIS SONG! He even semi-raps in it, and he's a country artist!

6. Dosed- Red Hot Chili Peppers. I have rediscovered this song recently and forgot how much I love it. I'm not a huge Chili Peppers fan, but I do love this one.

7. Say It Ain't So- Weezer. A classic Weezer anthem that will never, ever, ever get old.


8. Colder Weather- Zac Brown Band. I told you I was on a country kick! I love this song, I love this band, I want to dance to "Free" at my wedding, but I want to listen this song whenever I am feeling down and out.

9. O Children- Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. If you went to see the latest Harry Potter movie, you will remember this song from the scene where Hermione and Harry share a dance together in the tent. I really like this song and I like that it didn't skyrocket to obnoxious popularity the second the movie came out, like so many songs in movies do.

10. This technically is not a song. But it's a video of a guy... singing a song, a guy in love... You just have to watch it. Breaks my heart, but also makes me so happy.


That's all I got for now. More to come very shortly, as Spring is just around the corner and with it will come many more songs, I'm sure.

No comments: