Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Guys with long hair: Yay or Nay?

A couple weeks ago, I was ranting on Facebook about how sick I am of the "hipster" black rimmed glasses look. This is largely due to the fact that half the people I encounter sporting this look have perfect vision and don't NEED the glasses. Thus making it an annoyance to me.
If you type "hipsters wearing glasses" into Google, this image pops up. Bleh.
My rants aren't ending with the black hipster glasses today. I have a new irritation that I feel I need to vent about. It seems that I can't turn on ESPN or any other channel really without having to look at a guy who's hair is longer than mine. It's the Clay Matthews syndrome. It's gross, it's unnatural, and it's kind of unnerving to know that there are males out there in the world who have the ability to grow hair longer than mine.
I'm sorry... but I just can't. I can't see the beauty in it. I think there is something wrong with being a dude who can put his hair into a bun. I simply can not appreciate Clay Matthew's (because I am a Vikings fan) or his long greasy hair (because I think it's ugly). I can't handle that he makes probably millions of dollars in being a spokesperson for Suave. It makes me mad.

The thing that makes me laugh is that it's become a fad. My dad coaches college football, and I can count maybe six players who are currently donning this look, proudly. The guy athletes at my school are all about the long locks. They are also big into the pony tail, the half pony, you know, hairstyles that I usually rock on a good hair day.

So what I am wondering, is how other long haired male celebrities fare in your eyes... is it sexy or simply stupid to be a guy with long flowing tresses? Here are some fairly current examples I came up with. I'll let you be the judge.
Kid Rock. My vote on whether his look is okay: NO.
David Beckham. My vote: Yes. As far as I'm concerned, he can wear his hair any old way he wants and I won't find a single thing to complain about.
Bruce Jenner: not so sure about the hair, but could someone get me the name of his plastic surgeon?

Russell Brand: No.
Troy Polamalu- Personally, I like Troy's hair. But that's because it has character. It's not stringy, greasy, and straight like Clay's. Fun Fact- did you know that in the NFL, long hair is considered part of one's uniform, therefore, one may be legally tackled by the HAIR?! Ouch.

I guess I'm torn on the issue. Some guys look great with long hair, and others look stupid. Maybe I am biased because I'm marrying a guy who's best look (in my opinion) is when he is bald, but that's just me. As my grandmother Bev would say, it takes all kinds.

***

In other news, I'm in a bit of a slump. Who ever heard of pouring down rain in Minnesota, in DECEMBER???? White Christmas comes on the radio and I roll my eyes in disgust, because for once, I ACTUALLY WANT IT TO BE TRUE. Can you believe it? I'm complaining about there being no snow in MN. Check back in with me in a few weeks and see how my opinions have changed about that. It's okay though. I am trying my best to get in the Christmas spirit by doing the following:
-Painting my nails red
-Buying red lipstick for the first time! (it's for Callie's wedding)
-Watching Christmas television episodes on Netflix
-Lighting a spruce scented holiday candle in the kitchen, which is where I am currently sitting now. 

Also, to get myself out of the slump, I treated myself to a Target run today and bought this:


My favorite blockbuster of Summer 2011 came out on DVD. And Dust is currently on his way over to watch it. He doesn't know that I've bought it yet, but I don't care. I'll make him watch it.

No comments: