Saturday, November 19, 2011

My Saturday.

If you couldn't tell by my last post, I had a bit of a long, rough week. Since I started my job, I was spoiled with two consecutive weeks of having no school on Friday. They were work days, but still much more laid back than a typical end of the week school day. Either way, my complaints probably make me sound pathetic.

Despite the difficult week of work, it was well rewarded with a (so far) wonderfully relaxing weekend. John, a good friend of ours, is currently in town from Colorado so we spent last night out to eat with him and other friends at The Village Wok in Dinkytown. We're talking portions so big you barely make a dent in them, for next to nothing in price. We always go there with John, and I always order the Chicken Chow Mein. The friends and the food did not disappoint last night. It was a great Friday evening.

Today I woke up on my own around 8:30 a.m. and realized that I have officially become an adult. I don't think I am capable any longer of sleeping in, at all, past 9. And that's okay. Anyway, I did have a glorious morning spent watching countless episodes of The Wonder Years in bed until 10 a.m. And something crazy happened-- an episode of my new favorite show?

It made me cry.

Quick version: The episode deals with Kevin (Fred Savage) and his brother Wayne's friend Wart (horrible nickname) who has recently come home from the Vietnam War. Wart seems changed. Kevin steals the rival high school teams mascot, a real live owl, sets it free, only after a spectator at the game points at Wart and yells "MURDERER!" Kevin then finds Wart sitting on a park bench stripped down to his boxers. Wayne then finds Wart and notices his emotions are running high. Wayne then takes off his shirt, covers Wart, and Wart breaks down in his arms crying. And I broke down in my bed, crying. That show usually has me snickering from the depths of my pillowcases, but today it had me in tears.

And the best part about this emotionally charged episode? Wart is played by Scott Menville, probably best known for portraying Duane, the boyfriend of Kimmy Gibbler on Full House, whose vocabulary on the show consisted of this one word: "Whatever."
*I tried to include a Youtube video of this example, but it won't let me embed :(

So after my teary morning spent watching The Wonder Years, I headed upstairs to my brother Beau's room where he and a friend were watching Braveheart. Typical Saturday morning movie choice. The next two hours were spent watching TV, napping, waking up to snow, and playing with the dog. It has been just absolutely blissful.

I also got fitted for a bridesmaid dress for my friend Jackie's wedding. She is getting married two weeks before me! June will be a busy month. A fun one, though, that I am DEFINITELY looking forward to.

Dust and I are in search of a well-priced big screen TV. Any suggestions? We also booked our engagement photos for a couple weeks from tomorrow. YAY!

Thus concludes my more cheerful, less cranky blog post of the weekend. I love relaxing. It's a two day work week for me next week. I can't wait to catch up on grading, sleeping, hanging out with my family, and wedding planning with Dust.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Wonder Years has cut me to the core on several occasions, that show is magic.

Also, per the advice of a council of tech-nerds, Steph settled on a pretty fly and surprisingly inexpensive Dynex TV. It has not disappointed.