Sunday, October 17, 2010

Cheers to two full years.

Two years ago.....
August, '08.
Summertime and this guy that I knew named DUSTY WAHL started talking to me a little bit more than usual. I was flattered of course because I had gotten to know him earlier in the spring when we had a night class together. We didn't know each other super well, but the way he talked to me made me feel like I could definitely want to get to know him better. We casually texted, saw each other around, and finally, he asked me to go out to talk and "catch up." The funny thing is, we didn't really have anything to catch up on, being that we weren't the closest of friends. Oh well, I said yes of course! He was extremely good looking and I knew that he was a catch, how could I not? And plus, if all else failed, we could always talk about Martin Luther King, since that was the subject of our night class together. We went to this location:

The Island at Northwestern College. A place that holds sentimental value to the both of us for a variety of reasons. We had a great time laughing, talking, and getting to know each other better. I wore a white shirt and squished a bug on the elbow of it by accident and remember thinking I'd blown it. Dang it. Turns out I didn't blow it, I just ruined the shirt. We didn't stop talking that whole night. We covered just about everything: family friends dating school future plans life sports movies jokes memories secrets and the like. It was a really great night. We were supposed to watch a movie after hanging out at the Island but I decided to play it cool and go back to my room. I told him my friend was waiting for me to hang out and I'd have to reschedule. Good move huh? I'm not gonna lie, I really really REALLY wanted to watch the movie!!! But... I thought I shouldn't be too available too soon.
Later in the week, we were talking more and more. Dustin asked me on a whim if I'd want to go to a friends cabin. Uh... DUH!! I will continually thank my dear Maddie forever because she agreed to come along for moral support. So off to the cabin we went. To hang with CJ, Garrett, AND... Dusty Wahl!

Dust and I really hit it off that weekend. It was clear that there was an interest but it was kind of an unspoken thing the entire weekend. We all had a blast together and got along great. I remember watching a scary movie with the whole group and sitting next to Dust on the couch. The kid just would NOT make a move. I made it clear that I was more than okay with cuddling on the couch but still... didn't make the move. It's alright, I'm not bitter :-)
September, '08.
Me and this Dusty guy started hanging out quite a bit. We got to know each other a lot better through more hanging out, talking, texting, bumping in to each other all over school, ya know, the typical things that happen at the exciting start of relationships. We had a blast those first couple of months. We hung out with my friends, his friends. It was great. We had a few dates. One was with another couple at Benihana's, where this was taken:

^Can you tell we were a little nervous to be going out on a date and taking pics?^

I knew all along that Dusty was a special guy. We got along so well together. We had a lot in common. Our dads were friends when we were growing up (They both worked at Northwestern College). My mom's office was next to Wade's. We both loved rap music. We both loved scary movies. We could both talk for hours, but also listen to each other for hours. There was a lot of talking those first couple months. We had a lot of fun dates. We both loved FOOD! And restaurants :) And stupid comedy films. And we both loved God. Had that desire to grow closer to him. We both had a great group of friends. We knew how to have fun together. We still do!
That's the thing that I love, I still have such a blast with Dusty. He makes me laugh. He makes me smile and giggle like a little 7th grader. He shares things with me that just make sense. He has the best advice. He is constructive with that advice. He's intentional about showing love. He's a HOTTIE! He's a softy (yep, he is.) He's just an awesome, amazing, and wonderful guy that I am really lucky to have.

October 18th, 2008.
Our family had just been blessed with the addition of our adorable dog, Moses. We brought the pup to Dusty's football game against Hamline University (where Dustin scored the one and only touchdown!) It was a nail biter game that we ended up WINNING.

Yep, there we are. On that fateful day :)
We went back to the Island, where we had our first date. Hung out, talked, laughed. Went to my parents house. Watched a movie in the basement, sister ran down the stairs..
"I told my friends that we can't hang down here because Casey and her BOYFRIEND are watching in the basement."
Good one, Carls.
Dusty commented that he liked my sister referring to him as "my boyfriend." Me being a little snippy sass, I responded with "Huh! Is that what this is?"
Dust: "Yeah!"

There ya have it

And that was exactly two years ago. TODAY! I can't hardly believe it. My longest relationship! DAHHH!! But the thing is, it's not the amount of time that marks the significance of the relationship. It's the memories, and the genuine friendship, companionship, love that we both have for each other. I am really lucky, guys. I am happy with Dust, the happiest! The luckiest!

Dustin Wade, I love you. You are my favorite person on the face of this planet. You are so funny. You are so smart in your own way. You are so amazing! I love who you are. I am so thankful for you. You are a great friend, great boyfriend, great person. I miss you.

Happy 2 year to us!

2 comments:

Ria @ Life as a Wife! said...

SOO sweet :) I love this!! Happy 2 years!!

Brittaney said...

Cute cute cute! You two are wonderful