Thursday, April 19, 2012

Wise advice indeed

When I was a little kid, many of my favorite movies starred this girl:
 She was the star of many classic '90's movie. Her name is Mara Wilson. Some of her film credits include the following...

Mrs. Doubtfire- Favorite line of hers in the film: "We're HIS G**Damn kids TOO!"

Matilda- Which inspired me to practice for hours on end being able to eat Cheerios from a suspended spoon in the air, to no success.

Miracle on 34th Street- All I really remember about this film is that her mom is played by Celia from Weeds, and Santa is played by the old guy in Jurassic Park.

Yea, she starred in some great movies, and then she sort of disappeared.

The other day I was reading an article on Yahoo, when she popped up. The headline under her picture read: "WHY CHILD STAR QUIT ACTING." I clicked on the link and it actually led me to HER BLOG. I did some cruising around. Her blog is pretty interesting. It turns out, she was kind of sick of the whole acting scene at a pretty young age and instead focused on school. She eventually went to NYU and now works in theater production. And she is pretty insightful. And I decided, I really like her blog.

One of the posts that really intrigued me was called "Advice from Auntie Mara" because a title like that just sounds interesting. It contains a lot of actually PRACTICAL insight from a one-time childhood star who seems like she actually has her act together. This just a couple days after I scoffed at the fact that Amanda Bynes, yes Amanda Bynes!- was arrested for DUI in LA. It's kind of refreshing to know that someone who has experienced Hollywood saw a way out and managed to keep a smart outlook on life years later. Some of my favorite snippets from "Advice":


I don’t care if you’re turning twenty-one, you need to impress your sorority/fraternity siblings who bought them for you, you listen to nothing but Ke$ha and Katy Perry and thus embrace a life philosophy of glorified self-destruction, shots of alcohol are never a good idea.

Saying “I don’t like Rap/Country/Science Fiction/Nonfiction, etc.” is a cop-out. My response is always “I don’t like people who dismiss entire genres due to their own stubborn preconceived notions of that genre.”

If you are voluntarily spending an inordinate amount of your free time doing something, consider that something. Think about yourself at end of your life, looking back on all you have done. Will you want to remember yourself doing this something, or is there something else more worthwhile you could be doing? If there is, do that something else instead. (This is why I no longer argue with people on Internet forums.)

I would recommend checking out more from Mara Wilson at her blog, Mara Wilson Writes Stuff. After reading some of what she has to say, I think it would be worth your while.

And I know it would probably annoy her, but I would LOVE to ask her about what the Trunchbull was like in REAL life.

No comments: