Friday, October 7, 2011

The Steve Jobs Hype

I'm sure most of you readers know that the founder of Apple Computers, Steve Jobs, died of cancer on Wednesday at the age of 56. I myself was out in Minneapolis at a concert when I took to Twitter and read the news. My feed was flooded with messages like "World Changer" "Innovator" "Mastermind"-- I really didn't know much about Steve Jobs other than the fact that he was extremely brilliant, and had recently stepped down as the CEO of Apple in recent months due to his illness.

Well, like I often spend hours of my life doing when I am bored, I got home and decided to do some research on Steve Jobs. I had no idea that he founded Pixar Studios, which has produced some of my FAVORITE animated movies of all time like Toy Story, Up (cried and cried), and Monsters Inc. I also had no idea that he was adopted as a baby, unwanted by his biological mother and given up by his first selected adoptive parents because he wasn't a girl. I had no idea that he was responsible for the high point of my childhood, developing OREGON TRAIL! I also never realized that Jobs invented the computer mouse--- where would we be without THOSE?!
 
There was definitely more to Steve Jobs than I knew or thought. I guess I never realized the significance of his life until I realized how much I am literally glued to my computer, a Macbook that has lasted me four years now, or my Ipod, which pretty much holds my sanity in the format of 2000 songs, or even my hopes of receiving an Iphone for Christmas this year (fingers crossed) as I have been wanting one since they came out years ago.

If Steve Jobs never existed, then I'm sure my life would have been quite different in some aspects. Some people posted on Facebook that they didn't get all the hype surrounding his death. I understand where some might think that- however, after learning just a little bit more about this man, genius really, who invented one of the most popular brands in the world in the garage of his parents house when he was 20, I realize that his death is actually quite significant in the times we are living in now. A technological time where literally life can seem kind of scary if we aren't glued to our computer, phone, or MP3 player. Maybe that sounds sad, but it's really kinda crazy that the success and popularity of our modern age of technology can be traced back to the mind of one guy who had ideas.

I saw a clip of this video on the news and finally took the time to sit down and watch it in its entirety last night. It's a commencement address given by Steve Jobs at Standford University in 2005. It is an incredible speech, I really encourage you to watch the entire thing and really listen to the words. They are encouraging with a touch of conviction.

 

Sometimes I get a little irritated with the media when they hype up celebrities- but I really think that the attention Steve Jobs has received in the wake of his death is well deserved. I'm actually pretty bummed that he is gone and relatively still young, but what a legacy he leaves huh? Everytime you see someone playing Angry Birds on their Ipad, think of Steve! Thanks for all you contributed to the world!


Betchya thought this was another engagement post, didn't ya?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done, you added to the misinformation about Steve Jobs by posting a bunch of incorrect crap.

Who invented the mouse?:
the team of: Tom Cranston, Fred Longstaff invented the trackball
and Kenyon Taylor Douglas Engelbart invented the "standard mouse" independently
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_%28computing%29

Who invented what we know as the modern PC? Steve Wozniak
http://www.woz.org

Steve Jobs was a good Producer, and an excellent Businessman, he was AMAZING at creating hype... but was not an Inventor/Scientist by any scale of the imagination. His technical ability put him at BEST as what could be called a "poweruser".

Don't feel too insulted when you read this, I am just going around whatever comes up via Google searches trying to correct what I can... research a little deeper next time.