Friday, September 2, 2011

D~I~Y: Rise to the challenge!

A couple of months ago, I started to develop a love for wine. I am not an alcoholic by ANY means, nor do I splurge on fancy bottles or pretend to be a snob about it... I just enjoy a glass of wine here and there. After a few weeks, I started to collect the corks from wine bottles I'd purchased and just set them aside. I then stumbled upon a fabulous DIY project blog called Design*Sponge. This is one of those websites you happen upon... peruse for three hours before you know what hit you, thus forming an instant obsession. I found the following idea from the website that I feel will be PERFECT for my collected wine corks:
Wait... how am I going to acquire THAT many corks...?
What I love about projects that are "Do It Yourself" is that you can create amazingly cute stuff from things that honestly could just be lying around in your house. After I got the idea for the corkboard I decided to keep looking. I am not very experienced when it comes to DIY projects... But I did take a step in the right direction last December when I decided that for my mother's Christmas gift, I wanted to do something special and different. I heard of the idea for a "felt wreath" from a friend of mine. She explained how to make it, and I went away at creating the following:
Note: this is not a photograph of MY wreath, but I kid you not, mine turned out very similar. I wouldn't lie, I promise.
My mom loved the wreath and it was the little boost of confidence I needed to assure myself that I could in fact complete a successful do it yourself without the result of a complete disaster.

I'm dying to try more projects on my own. Partly because I think it's fun to be in pursuit of the supplies needed to create something adorable and creative, and also because I love all things homemade. To put time and effort into something that is cute, decorative, maybe even fashionable makes it all the more enjoyable. I've done some browsing online, and here are just a few other DIY projects that I feel would be worth trying. What do you think?
Mason Jar Soap Dispenser: I have seen mason jars everywhere lately, especially at weddings used as decorations. How cute is this idea? I would love to try it.
Paint sample coasters. This is something definitely worth trying to me. The paint samples are free at your local hardware store, I imagine the coaster part would require porcelain and "hodge podge" glue of some kind to create the stick... I so so so want to try this. I think it's an adorable idea.


Last but not least: This is an upside down table used as a toddler bed! I don't have a toddler, but I absolutely love this idea. What I DO have, is an enormously huge yellow lab that would just LOVE a fancy little bed like that... in fact, it's just his size... What are YOUR thoughts on these ideas??


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would think the toddler bed idea would be hazardous... hanging hazard.

Anonymous said...

yes, it might be somewhat dangerous for a toddler, but it is a GREAT idea for a dog...I will keep my eyes out for en end table at thrift stores or yard sales when they start up this spring!! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I love the idea for dog. On my list to do!