Monday, September 19, 2011

Skol.

The following post strictly contains my angry rant opinion on what the future holds for Minnesota football. Read on if I have sparked your interest.
This is my first year belonging to a Fantasy Football League. To be quite honest, I have NO idea what I'm doing. I know I drafted a somewhat decent team, despite the fact that they haven't allowed me to win against the "teams" I've played in the last two weeks.... But! I have a team stocked full of Packers. Aaron Rodgers. Dennis Driver. Greg Jennings. The Packers Defense. I've been told those choices are pretty solid.

The question you are probably asking yourself, like I have been for the past few weeks- "WHAT IS SHE THINKING?" A Minnesotan, tried and true, pledging Fantasy Football allegiance to members of the Green Bay Packers???!

Here's the thing.

I've lost all hope in the Vikings.

I thought we had it two years ago when Favre spent his first season in the purple and gold. But like all good things... that came to an end. The multiple embarrassments of last season (Childress can't decipher a good challenge flag, Favre gets caught sexting, Childress gets fired, Favre beats interception record by 5000, Randy Moss: the Rise and fall) really have got me to thinking if I very seriously should consider pledging my loyalty to another team. It didn't help matters much this past Sunday, when apparently the Vikes didn't realize that you do in fact have to attempt to keep winning into the second half of a football game. Sadly... we did fall victim to the smarmy group of pirate Buccaneers.

Happier Times in 2009... my sister in her T-Jack jersey (useless now)

Where can the Vikings bring happiness now? I dream of a year when the Vikings were the beam of hope this great state needed to carry us through another harsh winter. A year when the Metrodome was sold out to the thousands of fans boldly waving their PURPLE PRIDE towels while hoisting beer into the air, clashing with horned braided drunkards.... Shouting SKOOOOOOLLLLLL VIKINGS with no shame. I dream of the year: 1998.


It was the best of times.... It was the worst of times (Ventura was elected governor that year, after all). But Minnesota had a winning NFL team. Who could forget those days when the Cunningham jerseys weren't faded into a nearly violet purple? When Randy Moss was the rookie WR we had been waiting for? When Denny Green was a household name? When Will Smith provided the tune for a hit KDWB morning show song??
Man... those really were the good old days. Now I'm stuck in a time period of utter despair... where we acquire yet another washed up old quarterback who's glory days are long behind him. Where we have to get rid of a starting defense men because he's too fat. Where each week I shudder to think of whether it could get any worse... Is there hope for the Vikings? Is there hope for Minnesota sports? Do I dare say that I'm going to have to start cheering for the Lynx because I've lost my faith in all other professional sports teams here? Do I dare say that I have to search elsewhere in the Midwest for another team to cheer on??
I could be a Lions fan? Clearly they do exist....

What's a girl to do... when I've already turned my back on my team to try and make something of myself in the world of Fantasy Football. When I can't help but revert to the glory days of 4th grade when the Vikings seemed to be truly the Kings of the world... When life was just plain better for everybody. Come on Vikes. Turn it around.

At least give me reason to believe in the Packers, only for the sole purpose of boosting my fantasy team. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't imagine Dennis Driver would be any good.