Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Encouragement.


It should come as no surprise to the faithful readers out there that my college graduation is now behind me. I walked across the stage of Bethel (my home for the last four years) and now have stepped into the unknown of just what is in store for me next.

For those of you who are college grads: Did you ever just get SICK of people asking, "So... What's next?!" It's almost like a distinct kick in the butt... Oh, you don't have a full time job? Oh, you aren't sure you are going to use your major? Oh, you went to college for four years and decided towards the very end that you maybe DON'T want to be a teacher? Hm. Interesting.

That's a somewhat exaggerated, made-up conversation but seriously, I have felt sort of an odd sense of what now for the last three weeks. It gets old having to explain so many times... I can't apply to teaching jobs until I get my teaching license. I can't apply for my teaching license until I find out if I pass my licensure exams. I took my licensure exams three weeks ago and the results take 4-6 weeks. I don't have a single friend in Social Studies that has passed the exam the first time. They don't let you re-take the exam until 9 weeks from the day you get your RESULTS!!! (Can you sense my frustration???) Oh, yea, and I'm still waiting to figure out what God's calling is for my life. At the moment, I have doubts about teaching. But I want God to be the one who makes the final call on that one.

With that being said, it kind of amazes me how the Lord responds to situations like mine, where I am feeling kind of worthless, down, and insecure about the direction of my life right now. Just through the blog world, I was given a sense of peace and comfort. I faithfully follow about 5 or 6 blogs on a regular basis, and through one that I really enjoy, I was connected to the page of another blogger who has a faith and provided the following encouragement...
The Lord makes all things beautiful IN HIS TIME.

It's as simple as that. Story time.
I remember being about 14 years old when I attended a fashion show featuring wedding gowns at my cousin's church with my grandma. I adore my sweet grandma. And my grandpa, for that matter. They are two amazing people who love God more than anything, and have poured that love into our large family for DECADES! Anyways... it's funny how vivid this memory is to me, albeit a good 8 years ago... But in the midst of a fashion show that featured gorgeous wedding gowns, my grandma shared with me how difficult it was waiting to marry my grandpa, as they spent nearly their entire engagement apart. My grandma was working while my grandpa served in the Navy overseas during World War II. She said she would often grow sad or frustrated with the timing of things... and yet the one thing that often kept her hopeful was the following verse from Psalms 37:4, "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart."

I love that verse so much. I often neglect to cling to it in times of struggle or frustration. But I was pleasantly reminded today that God's work is made beautiful all in his timing. And that is something to trust in. I've seen it work! Want to know how?
Because of the Lord's timing, my grandparents have spent 66 years together loving each other, raising six children, loving and doting on 18 grand-children (including me!), and 7 great-grandchildren.

Psalm 37:4 ~ Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.
This was the man that Grandma Marian fell in love with and became engaged to in the 1940's.... My Grandpa, Rodney! I love this pic. He really doesn't look much different and that really makes me smile :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Case-

Such a wonderful and sweet blog post, and it encouraged me as well to reflect on that verse and the legacy of G&G! You sure have a gift for writing and sharing your heart - and I agree that Gramps doesn't much different from that photo in his 20s :)

Praying for you in this transition time.

Love u!

Breezy