Saturday, February 19, 2011

Kids say the darndest things

I can't believe that already, another week of teaching has flown by. And with that, I have a three day weekend for PRESIDENT'S DAY! I'm not quite sure as to why we are given the day off to "celebrate" (if that's what you want to call it) but I will take it as a gift.

The last five days were interesting at school. They went really well once again, but as I mentioned last time, I was combating a pretty wicked virus that I am still recovering from here. It made for a long day Wednesday. I woke up in the middle of the night and was just drenched in sweat. I guess that means my fever broke, and since then, the aches and pains have left and now I am just dealing with a cough. Thursday and Friday were days I think I will learn to covet as a teacher someday: MOVIE DAYS. Do you want to know the best thing about studying the Great Depression? Cinderella Man. Starring Russell Crowe and Renee Zellweger. A perfect cinematic depiction of American life in the 1930's. And also a perfect way to entertain a bunch of tenth graders for a three day period when it's a busy time in the school year. It is conference time at Maht which means it's busy for teachers. Thursday I spent fourteen straight hours at the high school discussing grades and class with parents. If there is one thing I have learned from conducting conferences at a teacher... it's that every parent deep down just wants to hear that they've got a good kid. So despite a few low grades here and there, it was mostly a good experience to be able to give parents what they want.

So back to the movie I'm showing... I did a little introduction to the film on Thursday and asked if anyone had seen it. Immediately, the class asked ME if I've heard the song.

What song?

Apparently, the rapper known as Eminem recently created a new song titled "Cinderella Man" and it's all the rage with my tenth graders. I had no idea of this... I'm not really a huge Eminem fan. Plus, I have no time to really explore music these days anyway. So I shrugged my shoulders and showed that I was unfamiliar with the song. They freaked out! It was as if I was an outcast that knows nothing of popular songs with teenagers these days.

Anyway, I told the kids that I listen to country music and that didn't score many brownie points with them like I thought. Sigh.

So on Friday, I told them to take out their video notes for Cinderella Man, and one of my student's raised their hand and said... "Ms. Miller. Can you RAP the LYRICS to the SONG, Cinderella Man?" And the whole class burst out laughing.

Kids.

I've had a couple of days to mull over something I heard this weekend in connection with teaching in a classroom. On Sunday, I went to the BU football banquet, an annual tradition occurring after each season's end. Because BU did so amazingly well this year, the banquet was postponed til just yesterday. My friend Kyle was one of the handful of seniors that spoke at the banquet. Kyle is currently student teaching also and shared an interesting thought... Imagine your classroom full of students that are either obedient, or disobedient. I can relate to that completely. I have both in all three of my classes, and the ones that are often disobedient sure make me appreciate the kids that are nothing but angels of OBEDIENCE. Kyle said that we should picture ourselves as "God's pupils." Imagine God as the teacher and us as his either obedient or disobedient students. It really put things into perspective for me. I couldn't imagine how much joy it must bring the Lord to see his people obeying him in everything they do. In contrast, it also must really frustrate him and drive him crazy to watch those of his children disobey. Isn't that an interesting kind of thought?

I just felt the need to share that with everyone this week. Kind of funny to envision yourself as a student of the King... but that is one role we can take on as Christians, right?

Hope everyone is having a great last week of February! Dusty is home in one week... I can't wait!!

No comments: