Sunday, November 18, 2012

Total Relaxation

Typically, Sunday's give me a wide range of mixed feelings.

I love Sunday's for the following reasons:
-Church
-Chore tackling (laundry, groceries, errands if necessary)
-Couch dwelling (surprisingly, I didn't take a nap today during the afternoon football watching)
-Catch-up with family (the last few have been spent with Dusty's side, last week we hung out with my fam)


But then at the same time, I loathe Sunday's because:
-I am a teacher, therefore, I know the full effect of feeling the "Sunday night blues"

Today was different though. Actually, this whole weekend had a very pleasant tone of TOTAL RELAXATION. I did a lot for me, as evidenced by my post Friday night (case in point, who do you know who updates their blog on a Friday?!). I cut my hair past my shoulders (love it), I took in a movie I have been DYING to see (Spielberg's Lincoln, more on that in a minute), I spent lots of time with my husband, I had a great time Saturday night with friends at a Chili Cook-off (hence the meal choice for Friday night) and I spent the entire day today doing absolutely nothing. I guess it helps that this week is short, being that Thursday is Thanksgiving (quite possibly my favorite holiday). I guess it also helps to know that tomorrow night I am getting together with friends once again- I am wrapping up a scarf I have worked hard on knitting- and also get to spend Tuesday on another field trip-- this time to the Minnesota School of Cosmetology with our female students. The real catch of this trip? We all get pedicures!! :)

Ya know, they really fail to mention all the teacher perks like free pedicures when you're taking your education classes in college.

I've tried to readjust my attitude towards Sunday's as of late to look at them not as a dark cloud over the impending week to come- but as a last day for relaxing and taking in wonderful things to prepare and recharge for the week ahead. What's not to love about Sunday's? Football games all day long, catching up on Nashville while taking a bubble bath (totally did that today), cleaning my bedroom, making homemade pizza with Dusty, and excitedly making my lunch for tomorrow because we DID go grocery shopping today and really made a haul on delicious food!

Oh and ya know how I mentioned Lincoln earlier? Great movie. I had to see it being I am a history teacher and all... and I knew the hype surrounding Daniel Day-Lewis's performance was for a reason. Holy Crap... I felt like I was legitimately watching Honest Abe in the flesh the entire two hours and thirty minutes of the film. It took a little different approach than I was expecting (it's not really about Lincoln's life as much as it is his efforts to pass the immensely historical 13th amendment) but I loved it anyway. But what I really loved, was DDL's performance. It was so inspiring that Dust and I just spent the last three hours watching a previous DDL classic: There Will Be Blood. I had never seen it- wow. How can one guy play such an array of movie roles and make it look SO CONVINCING?

I have a new favorite actor.

Anyway, I know they won't always be this way, but today? I loved me some Sunday. It was a great way to wrap up my weekend.

Oh and as long as I'm still on the subject of movies, Dust and I also spent a chunk of time preparing for our fourth annual Miller/Wahl Thanksgiving Movie Marathon that we participate in every year with my siblings and my dad. We basically have a movie watching rally from about 9 in the morning until 4 pm in the afternoon when we head over to my aunt's house for turkey. This year we're kicking things off early on Wednesday night and have compiled our list of potential options of movies to watch. Here they are:
-Gremlins
-Ferris Bueller's Day Off
-Disney's Hercules
-Monsters Inc
-Alien
-Love Actually
-Christmas Vacation

How's that for a list? We have to start Wednesday because my dad's football team made the playoffs this year and therefore have PRACTICE on Thanksgiving Day. Kinda great, and kinda sucky. Not that it really matters, because typically any time you pop in a movie with my dad, he's out in less than five minutes.
Case in point.

Happy Thanksgiving Week to all! :) Stay tuned for a potential post on the next best thing to Thanksgiving Day... Black Friday, and all of it's crazy antics, coming my way in just four short days.

No comments: